Ever been surprised by somebody going the extra mile? Perhaps a stranger has given up their seat on the bus for you, or a colleague has stayed late at work to help you out? Whatever the gesture, we're guessing it put a smile on your face, because everyday acts of kindness like these can really brighten up anyone's day.
Here at Utility we are celebrating National Random Act of Kindness week which falls this year between 12th-18th February. The week was founded by the Random Act of Kindness Foundation under the ethos that:
“The world will be a significantly better place if we encourage the spread of kindness in schools, communities and homes - so we try and enable that in whatever way we can.”
To thank those people spreading love and kindness no matter how much they are struggling themselves, here are 100 acts of kindness for you to help make somebody's day:
1. Buy a few tins of food such as beans and canned fruit that you can donate to your local food bank.
2. Give a compliment to three strangers.
3. Smile at somebody in the street who looks like they need a pick me up.
4. Help a parent trying to manoeuvre their pushchair up a flight of stairs.
5. Make a friend a playlist of songs that remind you of them.
6. Randomly call your grandparents, just to let them know you’re thinking of them.
7. Bring your loved one a cup of tea in bed.
8. Offer to volunteer for an afternoon at a care home for the elderly.
9. Donate tins of dog / cat food to your local animal shelter.
11. Give up your seat for somebody else on the bus or train.
12. Text a friend you haven’t seen a long time to remind them of a memory you shared.
13. Send your Mum flowers to let her know how much you appreciate her.
14. Help somebody who is struggling with heavy bags.
15. Do the dishes without being prompted.
16. Tell somebody how grateful you are to have them in your life.
17. Send a surprise gift to a family member.
18. Give blood.
19. When you’re out for dinner with a friend who you usually split the bill with, offer to pick up the full tab.
21. Write positive notes and leave them on a colleague’s desk.
22. If someone looks lost or needs help, don’t wait for them to ask, help them right away.
23. Adopt an animal from the local shelter.
24. Write to a family member you haven’t been in contact with for a long time.
25. Let the person with only 1 or 2 items go ahead of you at the supermarket checkout.
26. Hold the door open for somebody, even if they are a little way behind you.
27. Encourage a colleague with a positive affirmation of their work.
28. Offer to help a friend move house.
29. Connect friends - perhaps you have a friend who struggles to make new acquaintances. Do the work for them.
31. Spend some of your spare time at your local food bank / homeless shelter.
32. Offer to lend a hand to your neighbour who is renovating their home.
33. Tell somebody how happy you are for them if they have good news to share.
34. Help people who may be feeling awkward in a social situation to be included.
35. Let somebody out at a junction.
36. Buy an extra cup of coffee for a co-worker… Just because.
37. Offer to take a picture for a couple.
38. Tell a friend you’ll pet sit for free.
39. Wish somebody a good day.
40. Let somebody in front of you at the cashier.
41. Sponsor an endangered animal.
43. Recommend your favourite cafe, bar or restaurant to a tourist.
44. If it’s pouring with rain, give your umbrella to a homeless person.
45. Help a friend hunting for a job with their CV.
46. Stop and watch a street performer, then give them a generous tip.
47. Take your partner on a spontaneous trip away.
48. Donate books to the local library.
49. Sponsor a child in a developing country.
50. Participate in a charity fundraiser.
51. Offer to babysit for a friend.
52. Buy a lottery ticket for a colleague.
53. Treat a friend to a night at the cinema for no reason.
54. Talk to a homeless person.
55. Put change in the vending machine.
56. Bring in your neighbour’s bins.
57. Drop off some toys at your local nursery.
58. Relay an overheard compliment.
59. Ask somebody who seems to be struggling what you can do to help.
60. Dedicate a song on the radio to somebody you know.
61. Send somebody an unexpected card, giving them 10 reasons why you’re glad to know them.
62. Praise a colleague to a manager.
63. Offer to car share with a colleague that usually gets public transport.
64. Bad weather hit? Pick up essentials from the supermarket for an elderly neighbour.
65. Ask how somebody’s day has been.
66. Sit with somebody who is on their own at a party.
67. Acknowledge people when they walk in the room.
68. Leave a positive note on the table at a coffee shop.
69. Offer to buddy up with a new coworker.
70. Give your trolley with a pound in it to somebody else after using it.
71. Throw your best friend a surprise birthday party… Just for being your friend.
72. Cut your hair for charity.
73. Write your favourite quote on a sticky note and leave it in the toilets.
74. Bake a cake for your neighbour.
75. Promote a stranger's work through social media.
76. Lend somebody money who is short at the till.
77. Smile at everybody you see.
78. Buy an extra scratchcard and give it to somebody who is sleeping rough.
79. Volunteer at your local soup kitchen.
80. Pick up litter in the local park.
81. Make your favourite meal x2 and share with a friend.
82. Introduce yourself to somebody you see all the time but haven’t spoken to.
83. Add a donation to a charity bucket collection.
84. Donate a free gift card to somebody having a hard time.
85. Offer up a coupon to a stranger.
86. Check in with your friend or partner's family.
87. Pass along a good book to somebody needing inspiration.
88. Borrowed a friend's car? Fill the tank up as a thank you.
89. Send an old family photograph to your parents to remind them of times gone by.
90. Give a sincere compliment to somebody you see everyday but never speak to.
91. Volunteer at a charity shop.
92. Give somebody your parking meter ticket if there's time left on it.
93. Tell every family member you love them.
94. Organise a monthly charity day at work.
95. Offer to help a friend or family member carry out some home renovations.
96. Give extra to the Big Issue vender.
97. Buy an extra ticket to a gig and surprise a friend.
98. Offer a colleague a lift home when the weather is bad.
99. Help carry somebody's suitcase up the stairs.
100. Pull over if you see somebody has broken down and offer assistance.
How many of these random acts of kindness have you shared?
What have you done to spread kindness?
Tweet us @UtilityDesign